Monday, September 7, 2015

Rome, Italy

I've been meaning to do this but honestly i've been so busy I haven't really had a chance! Since I can't sleep in on my vacation for some reason (grrr), I have a couple hours to kill while I wait for everyone else to get up. I'll start with the plane to Rome!

Our first flight went great, I got some sleep which never really happens for me on flights so that was really cool. We sat next to a guy about our age who was traveling solo to Greece and he had been everywhere! Our connecting flight to Rome was less enjoyable...Cali started puking nonstop on the plane into bag and when we finally landed and got off the plane, she was still going at it and was super pale and out of it and couldn't do much of anything, which meant I had to get all our luggage and get some Euros and find us a cab. Well the bumpy road just kept getting worse. When we finally made it to the hostel we had already paid for, we were told it was no longer in business! So Cali and I stopped at a couple different hotels trying to get a room, and they were all full! Oh and btw, the Italians in Rome were SO mean! Very unpleasant bunch. So anyhoo, Cali couldn't walk anymore and was still puking so I left her and our luggage in the lobby of another hotel and went to scout the city for an available room. By this time i'm tired, sweaty, and so ready to just relax. Luckily I found us a room and after a nap we both felt a bit better.

That night we went to the Trevi Fountain...but it had no water in it! It was like under construction and they had these walls up. Well, me and Cali threw a coin in anyway haha. We also went to see the Colosseum that night and even though it was dark it was wonderful to walk around it and imagine the gladiators and bloodthirsty crowds. We had pizza that night (of course!) and I ate nearly a full pizza to myself, it was THAT good.

The next day me and Cali woke up early and went inside the Vatican. The museums were absolutely breathtaking! Unfortunately I wasn't able to take pictures in the Sistine Chapel but wow it was amazing and didn't disappoint. After that we walked out to head to St. Peter's Cathedral, which was honestly one of my favorites in Rome! The place is huge and seems to just keep going, and wow every sight I saw was impossibly more beautiful than the last. I could've spent hours in there, definitely a place of holiness. After some gelato we went to an ATM in one of the banks and it stole my freaking card!! I was a nervous wreck for like 3 hours until they finally got it back for me. Geez...what a crazy start to my adventure in Europe!

I think that's all for now, but next post will be on Amsterdam and WOW do I have much to say!

No comments: