Friday, April 4, 2014

Strengths, Weaknesses, and Bravery

With all of the homework and studying and 135 hours of precepting I’ve been doing, it seems I’ve been too busy to really acknowledge the fact that I’m ALMOST done with nursing school. It recently hit me the other day that I’ll be graduating from the RN program soon. “Soon” means THIS month…exactly three weeks from today, in fact. When did this happen?! I even got a job offer today for a full-time position on day shift 3 days/week, 7AM-7PM. I’ll be hired on as an LPN until I take the NCLEX and get my RN license! I’m so excited and I’m feeling extremely blessed lately.

                I’ll be honest though, I’m a bit nervous. New chapters in life are always nerve-wracking and tend to bring on a whole array of new tests and challenges. I have this annoying habit of doubting myself and selling myself short. I look at people who seem to ooze natural confidence in anything and everything they do, and I envy them. Although I AM confident in many ways, it hasn’t ever come easily. What I lack in confidence, however, I make up for in diligence.  

                One thing about me is that I refuse to fail at something I really put my mind to. I have many shortcomings and flaws and I’ll be the first to admit it, but I’ve come to realize that I’m the type of person who thrives and blooms amidst adversity. The way I naturally tend to shy away from uncomfortable situations is the reason I force myself to do something out of my comfort zone almost every day. Is that not an example of bravery? Slowly but surely my shortcomings and weaknesses always end up becoming my strengths.

                So, despite my self-doubt, I’ll continue to do what I always do in life; I will meet challenges and obstacles face to face with an unwavering determination. I will continue to grow and bloom, always. Because there’s a fire inside me that can’t be put out, it only burns higher and higher. This fire is what keeps me going in life.


                I also believe there’s a fire inside of everyone. Unfortunately, some people let theirs die out. Or worse, they let OTHERS smother out their fire. Don’t let your fire go out! Be brave. Keep it going and take care of it, because that fire is essential in life.

No comments: